Tuesday, December 28, 2010

iCatholic!!

One of our grad students emailed this to me: "Just discovered that Magnificat is a free app through itunes for your iphone or ipod. Thought you might want to pass that along through your blog. Just found it and recommended it to a friend."

Magnificat is a huge hit at the Newman Center, so this is really good news.  Also, this got me digging into all of the iCatholic stuff out there.  I started this over two hours ago...there is a TON of cool Catholic stuff for iPhones, from iTunes, and including Catholic podcasts.  I have been thinking for a while about the best way to make all of these very helpful and immediate tools available to GW Catholics.  I'll be working with our team of engineers (one of them worked on the last space shuttle launch...no joke), but if bloggers have better suggestions, I'm all ears.

Catholic podcasts through iTunes:
Go to the iTunes store.  Search for "catholic".  Scroll down to podcasts, and then click on "see all podcasts".  I just downloaded three excellent ones for free: Scott Hahn's Sunday Bible reflections, Catholic Answers (Radio - one episode of Jimmy Akin), and the SaintCast.  Lots of cool, free stuff there!

Catholic apps through iPhone app store:
Below are some of the best ones that I've seen that GW Catholics would be interested in.  They aren't free but are just a couple of bucks.  Another Catholic blog site said that these are free on iTunes, so check that out.  I could access them on iTunes on my computer, but not on my phone.

Answers 4 Catholics
iRosary
Catholic Mass Times
iPieta (Catholic Teaching, Calendar, and Prayer)
Catholic TV
iCatholic Radio
Catholic Singles
iConfess (Confession handbook and guide)
Catholic News Feed
The Saint Cast App (Catholic saints on call)
Catholic Handbook
Bible Douay-Rheims
Divine Office
iMissal Catholic (Mass readings, Calendar, Lectionary)

Also, click on today's title for "On the U.com" (College Catholic Podcast) which is an affiliated podcast of sqpn.com (another great site).  I told you, there is a TON of cool iCatholic stuff that is free and easy to access (well, easy for you).

Here's a video that a bit of a spoof but makes the point in a minute that I've spent the last two+ hours trying to make here:

4 comments:

Catholic Church Mass Times said...

Awesome post here.It's very nice and interesting.Will you post in future regarding Church Mass Times?Keep sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm too much of a fogey to i-anything.

Liesl said...

I love Catholic Answers Live's podcast!! I update it every day!

Great list - will have to check some more of those out!

William Newton said...

I HIGHLY recommend the podcast "Catholic in a Small Town", particularly for younger audiences in their 20s and 30s. Mac and Katherine Barron are a smart, very funny young Catholic convert couple in Georgia with three little boys. They talk about Catholic things, certainly, but also mainstream movies, television, video games, etc., and look at these things from a well-grounded Catholic perspective.