Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Learn from Confession this Lent (part 2)

Confessions tonight, 8-10 pm, top floor, Newman Center.  "Be reconciled to God" (2 Cor 5:20).

Yesterday, I posted an address from Pope Benedict XVI about the pedagogical value of the Sacrament of Confession.  I wanted to unpack it a little bit, mainly with what Confession has taught me as a priest.  "How much the priest can learn from exemplary penitents" is an insight of the Holy Father's with which I wholeheartedly agree.  Teaching the confessor is one of the last things on the mind of a penitent, I would imagine.  And yet, it happens every single time.  I learn something from every person coming to the Sacrament.  From people who come regularly, I learn about perseverance and faithfulness.  From people who haven't come for many years, I learn about courage and trust.  From people who come in the midst of tremendous suffering, I learn about deep union and friendship with Christ.

I went to Confession sometime ago to a priest friend of mine.  I confessed my sins, and the first thing he said was, "thank you for coming to Confession".  Now, before you think that he was saying this because my sins were so huge and he was expressing relief (!), know that it was a very gentle but potent statement.  It wasn't strong in that it confirmed that, "oh, I'm so great because I am coming to Confession".  It was powerful because here was the priest, after I had just handed him all of my dirty laundry, saying, "thank you".  And, he was completely sincere.  It was like the Lord saying, "thank you for bringing this to me." 

I have repeated that phrase to many a penitent since then.  It is on behalf of Christ that I thank them.  But, it is also from what I personally have received from them.  It's kind of like, "thank you for coming here and teaching me".  GW Catholics have taught me a lot in Confession! Certainly, there have been many specific insights into sin and the moral life that students have offered, almost inadvertantly, in Confession.  And, they have made connections between Scripture, the teachings of the Church, or the lives of the saints that apply to their lives in college that I never considered.   But, more than anything, it's been the witness of GW Catholics that has educated me the most....the witness to virtues like humility and docility.  While so many college students are absorbed in doing things their own way, many of our students are concerned with doing things Christ's way.  How edifying!

Recently, I have spoke with some students who have major personal problems with which they are dealing -  major stuff involving serious sins commited against them, sometimes going back many years.  They have come to me to discuss this and to see what they can do.  The focus of my message: forgiveness.  Forgiveness, as challenging and grueling as it might be, is the right thing to do.  And, it brings true healing.  Students (or Catholics in general) who frequent the sacrament of Confession are more open to this, at least initially, than those who don't.  Why?  Because a frequent confession leads us to more readily forgive others.  If we go regularly to God and humbly ask His forgiveness, then we acknowledge our own sinfulness and need for God's mercy.  We see ourselves as sinners, just like anyone else who has sinned against us.  If God regularly forgives us (seventy times seven times), then we are more apt to forgive others regularly.  Similarly, if God has forgiven our mortal sins, then we are more apt to forgive the mortal sins of others.  So, one of the biggest things that Confession teaches us is to forgive others!

Every GW Catholic should go to Confession at least once during Lent.  Take me up on my offer to come anytime (24/7).  It's an offer to reconcile with God and the Church.  It's an offer to receive God's infiinite love and mercy.  It's an offer to hand your dirty laundry to Christ and cleanse your soul.  It's an offer to learn more about God and yourself.  And, as you can see, it's an offer to teach me or any confessor about Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fr Greg,
Thank you for this post. It's really beautiful. We have a video on confession that uses this scripture that you might like. or want to post. Here it is:
http://youtu.be/VKyinXFmxEc
God bless you this Easter!