Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Jesus' Birthday List

A boy named Johnny writes a letter to Jesus, telling him his one wish for Christmas.
Dear Jesus,
I've been a good boy this year. All I want for Christmas is a new bicycle.

Thanks,
Johnny

Johnny thinks about his letter, and realizes he hasn't been very good at all. So, he writes another letter.

Dear Jesus,
Ok, I tried to be good. Please give me a shiny new red bike for Christmas.

Johnny

Then, he thinks more about it, and realizes that Jesus knows that he has been a brat all year, and rips up the letter. He goes for a walk, upset about the whole thing. He walks right in front of a Catholic Church, and heads inside. He grabs a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, takes it home, and hides it under his bed. Then, he writes a new letter.

Jesus,
I've got your momma. If you want her back, give me a bike.

You know who

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus’ birthday list ’04

“ Father…I wish that where I am they also may be with me.” (Jn 18:24)

The following are some of the best ways for GW students to give Jesus his wish, and be with Him where He is, during the 8 days (Dec. 25 – Jan 1) of celebrating His birth:

1. Go to Confession
- “Your sins are forgiven” (Lk 7:48)

2. Attend a weekday Mass (in addition to Sundays)
- “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.” (Jn 6:56)

3. Make a “Holy Hour” (an hour in front of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament)
- “Could you not keep watch with me for one hour?” (Mt 26:40)

4. Make Him a part of your New Year’s resolution
- “Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit,
because without me you can do nothing.” (Jn 15:5)

5. Visit this blog site once a week
- “If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you
will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (Jn 8:31-32)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of these five ways, which one is the most challenging? Why?

What other ways can we give to Jesus?


2 comments:

Ty Roach said...

Most challenging for me (recently) has been making the holy hour. In fact, even was I was regularly doing the holy hour, it was more like a holy half hour.

It's been over a month since I last did a holy hour (or partial hour), and I miss it! Really, I do! To do a whole hour is tough. Why? Work, family, etc, etc (actually, that should read, Work, family, excuses, excuses). I need to get back to it!

Other ways to give to Jesus? How about saying the rosary! How about giving up one meal once per week (now that's a real sacrifice for me)!

Keep on bloggin' Greg! I love this site! Your friend in Christ, Ty.

That Lawyer Dude said...

I often do a rosary on the way to work (at least 5 decades, depends on traffic I guess.) I find it relaxes me and helps me think of the things I can do better. It also lets me reflect on the gifts that I have recieved in the form of a family I love, A life I enjoy, freinds that I treasure and work I find to be both challenging and vital.
During Lent I use the rosary as a forum for helping me focus on sacrafice and appreciation for the "work" of our religion.
I think one of the most important way to be close to Jesus this holiday season is to try to love one who you depise or reach out to someone who our society rejects. Volunteer in a jail outreach program or at the local Legal Aid Society, offer to help out at a shelter or just go around the city in your van or car with a friend and hand out coffee and a buttered roll to homeless people(but be careful sometimes they can be dangerous so go in a group and do not be pushy) Give them a bible or religious medal or sepulcre(sp). Help clean up a park and or field and leave a shrine to the Blessed Mother.
Or celabrate the feast of the Holy Family by visiting a lonely person at a Hospital or nursing home... not once but on a regular basis. Relationship build, give them a reason to look forward to tomorrow.
Lastly talk about our religion in a positive way. DO Not give into the anti-catholic stuff. Instead remember that our religion is what Jesus taught us and that a bad experience with a priest or a holier than thou layman does not represent the religion any more than a corrupt cop or malpracticing doctor represents their professions. These individuals, by their actions represent only themselves.
Today of course, prayer has been a good reminder that "A son was given" to lead us to our lives everlasting in Heaven. God Bless you all and Merry Christmas to one and all.