Friday, September 18, 2009

A question for you (students)

I went to the dentist yesterday for my bi-annual check-up. All went well, but it's about as enjoyable for me to go the dentist as it is for people to come to me for Confession..! Actually, there are similarities between the two events, and every Catholic should be going to Confession as often as they go to the dentist (twice a year).

My dentist is very good at his profession (and surfing!) as well as being a devout Catholic. He has many other good, Catholic people on his staff. They all make it more of a pleasant experience than usual. My dentist helps to teach the baptism class at his parish in Maryland. I'm sure he does a great job. We were discussing it yesterday (well, they were talking regularly; I could only talk after spitting) and comparing how we go about teaching the sacrament of Baptism.

In between spits, I explained to "Doc" and his great dental hygenist that I like to tell the "story of salvation" to couples who come to have their child baptized. I have told the story on here before - it involves Adam and Eve (Original Sin) and why Christ needed to come into the world (salvation). There is a question that I ask every couple that is at the heart of why Christ came into the world and at the heart of why Baptism is necessary. This is a question I have asked here before and one that I asked both Doc and his assistant yesterday -with a little help from me, they got it right (not everyone does).

The question for you (students) is: how many people died and went to Heaven between Adam and Eve and Jesus Christ (in other words, B.C.)??

And, please provide a brief reason for your answer.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zero

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I only now saw the "Give a reason for your answer" (good thing you aren't one of my theology profs)

The reason is, in short form, because of the sin of Adam and Eve all of mankind was stained by original sin therefore unable to enter heaven. That which is impure(sin) cannot exist in that which is pure(heaven). Prior to the salvific act of Christ and the institution of the sacraments of Baptism and Penance (confession)humanity had no way to cleanse themselves of both original sin and personal sin, therefore could not enter heaven though it is known that the righteous prior to Christ were eventually freed to enter heaven when Christ descended to the dead for 3 days post crucifixion.

Anonymous said...

Ah ha, so we can have fun on this blog and learn at the same time?! I like this idea. How about I say "ditto" to the answer the 1:24anon posted. I'll present my rationale in the form of a question: "Did heaven exist before Christ's Resurrection?"

Now, my turn for a student to student or student to pries & staff question: "Did Adam and Eve have a belly button?"

Unknown said...

zero! though they went to the 'land of the ancestor's' before Christ's sacrifice and then afterward they were brought to heaven. yes?

Ryan Jackson said...

"Elijah because of great zeal for the law was taken up into heaven." 1 Maccabees 2:58

Unknown said...

though wasnt elijah assumed into heave?

The Balla Family said...

Can a professor enter this competition? I think scripture indicates that, in addition to Elijah, Moses and perhaps one other person were assumed into heaven body and soul. So I'm guessing the number is three.

Theology2b said...

Nope, it is zero. because.... Elijah didn't die. Moses did die before entering the promised land (for a reason and because of his sin didn't enter heaven) but though Elijah did go to heaven but he didn't die and that is the crux of the question.

Sorry Fr. Greg, I had to assign myself a name of sorts too many anonymous ppl... ~Theology2B aka Anon. 1:24 and 4:37

Anonymous said...

Ryan, miss your conversion blog/log

Anonymous said...

As I see it, zero. Prior to Christ, Christians did not exist. Any concept of Heaven would have been based on the Torah and Talmud which focus on the purpose of earthly life. As I understand Judaism, it believes that upon death, people rest in their graves until they are physically resurrected with the coming of the messiah (in other words, they do not believe in an eternal soul independent of the body). Whether rewards and punishments continue after death, or whether anything at all happens after death, is not as important as fulfilling the Ten Commandments. Mitzvahs, or good deeds performed while here on earth represent a life that is lived in accordance with the Jewish faith.