Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday - homily

“This is my body…given up for you. This is my blood…shed for you”.

It was all for you. In the garden, I even sweated blood for you.

The next day, in the courtyard, all of the scourging, all the lashings and whippings that literally tore off my flesh and made me a bloody mess front and back …it was all for you.

Then, the mockery, the laughing, the spitting from the soldiers. The crown they gave me made of thorns tore into my skull and caused blood to come into my eyes.

Then, the big, heavy Cross that I carried for you – I fell three times carrying it, one time falling face-first into the stone pavement which broke my nose.

The soldiers then drove ‘nine inch nails’ into my hands and feet and raised me up on the Cross where I hung there for at least three hours, barely able to breathe. I finally ran out of breath while asking the Father to forgive them and you.

This is my body… given up for you. This is my blood…shed for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven.

No comments: