Friday, May 26, 2006

On the eve of Ordination

So, tomorrow, I get ordained a priest by the awesome Grace of God!! I'm sitting here at St. Francis, with the soundtrack from "The Mission" playing on my computer, trying to get all my last minute details taken care of...it's busy! We had a GREAT week of retreat that ended Thursday, and it's been crazy ever since. But, good crazy. So, I'll finish up soon, and then what?

What does a man do the night before he becomes alter Christus (another Christ) in the world? The phone which has been off the hook since yesterday is silent (phew!). My family has gone back to their homes after we got together for Adoration, discussion about what tomorrow will be all about ("it's all about Jesus" my little nieces and nephews shouted out!), and dinner. One conversation awaits. I need to go see Him shortly.

I will spend at least an hour with Christ tonight in the chapel. Might be more because I probably won't be able to sleep (last night, it didn't happen...too excited). I will be with Him to whom I will give my life fully tomorrow. Kind of makes me think about the night before He handed over his life to the Father and all of us. Tonight might be a sort of Gethsemane.

But, I will try to rest in his peace. He has drawn me to his heart, his Sacred Heart, through the Immaculate Heart of his mother. It's hard to put in words what my own heart is experiencing now, this closely united to Christ. I will be changed sacramentally and ontologically tomorrow, but he has been changing me so much over the past several years. I am not worthy to be a priest of Jesus Christ; it's only because he has formed me and shaped me to be like Him that I can go forward tomorrow.

Now, with all of the hoopla and details, I have caught myself forgetting one of the biggest moments of all after the laying on of hands (that's the point at the Ordination when I become a priest): the Consecration of the bread and wine at my first Mass. For 14 years, it's been a dream. The Dream. To make Christ present on Earth. Truly present. Through my hands. Through my words. But, they will be His hands... His words. His body...his blood. Tomorrow, the Incredible happens. All because of Him who is Incredible. Awesome. Amazing. It's all about Him. "It's all about Jesus".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg,

Your faith and passion for Christ are truly inspiring. I am so very excited for you. We will be very blessed to receive such an excellent priest in the Church tomorrow.

Thank you for answering Christ's call to the priesthood, because we need you. I will keep you in my prayers. Congrats, God bless you, and enjoy the extraordinary day tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

You will be in my prayers tonight.
Tomorrow will be a great day! Congratulations Father Shaffer, you are about to enter a new journey of a long, beautiful, meaningful call.

Anonymous said...

For the people who couldn't make it to the ordination, could you tell us what happened?

Anonymous said...

Yes, please tell us what happened...I cannot wait to know. Show pictures...show pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

The Ordination was a beautiful experience. It was the first I have ever been to and I was glad since our new Pastor (Fr. Francisco)and not to mention that two of our very dear friends (Fr. Greg and Fr. Larry)were in this batch. Fr. Francisco had quite a congregation of musicians to welcome him. Their lines for blessing were huge, as you will see in the pictures. As mentioned in the news there was a record crowd in attendance. I brought my youngest child so he could experience it, since he had mentioned that he was interested in becoming a priest. He seemed to have had a good experience with the exception of the few times he nodded off. Can't really blame him for that since it really was a long mass. If it wasn't for the camera in my hand I may have nodded of myself, "just kidding". Fr. Mike Maloney, Fr. Mark Brennan and Fr, Dan Leary were also present as well as a good number of parishioners from St. Martin's.

Like Greg said it was "AWESOME".

For pictures at the ordination see link below.

http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLanding.jsp?shareCode=A1D7DF2C12D&cb=PW&cp=ems_shr_dpr_25pr_ps2

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. You have a beautiful family.