Monday, November 07, 2005

Call to Orders!

Update on my ordination status:

Last Thursday, Cardinal McCarrick gave me my Call
to Orders! What that means is that he officially
called me to be ordained a deacon. I've gotten
the Call!! In larger terms, it means that God has
called me to be a deacon through the Church. That's
way cool! After all this time, especially, it's
unbelievable to know with certainty that I am
doing God's Will. Guess I've been on the right
track after all with this priesthood thing!

I think the exact wording His Eminence used was,
"Greg, I call you to Sacred Orders for service
in the Church of Washington". So, I am now set
to be ordained a transitional deacon on Saturday,
December 17, 5 pm, St John Neumann Church,
Gaithersburg, Maryland. There should be three
of us ordained deacons that day, which would line
up twelve of us to be ordained priests for Washington
in May. That would be the largest ordination class
here in like 20 years!

I will give a general invitation to the GW community
as the ordination nears, but in general terms, everyone
is invited to attend the Ordination Mass. Also, I am
happy to answer any questions that you might have
about being a deacon or priest. Please pray for me
as I enter the clerical state!

- Rev. Mr. Greg (Reverend Mister is the title for
transitional deacons or deacons to be)




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! GOD BLESS YOU REV. MR. GREG. I LIKE THE MR. PART, VERY STRANGE :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Greg! It's about time...just kidding!

The church really needs strong, young priests with an infectious faith to inspire other young adults. Have confidence (I do) that you will be an excellent priest and that you are truly doing God's will.

I will continue to pray that the Holy Spirit will strengthen and continue to inspire you as well. CONGRATS!!!!

Fr Greg said...

Thanks, everyone, for what you wrote. Yeah, gotta love the new title, huh? Don't hear Reverend Mister every day!

Ted, there is a difference between a permanent peacon and transitional deacon. Permanent deacons are usually married and will never be priests. They are ordained to help administer some of the sacraments (Baptism, witness Marriage), preach the Gospel, visit the sick, etc. They promise obedience, and celibacy if their wife dies.

I'm going to be ordained a transitional deacon, which means that I'm preparing to be a priest. I will have the same faculties and duties as permanent deacons, but will promise obedience and celibacy.

I've only known one permanent deacon who became a priest, but know that there have been others. This friend of mine was a deacon for 13 years and never married, of course. He felt unworthy to be a priest but still wanted to serve the Lord (as a deacon).

One day, Cardinal Hickey asked him about being a priest, and told him that no priest (except Christ) is worthy. About a year later, my friend became a priest, and is a great one now!

Most permanent deacons don't go on to become priests because they are married. Please keep one thing in mind: a call to be a deacon is in and of itself a Call from God. It is in Acts how the Apostles, inspired by the Holy Spirit, called the first seven deacons. It is a great and necessary office in the Church and it is from God.

I remind people of that because the obvious reaction is that, well, you have all of these deacons who would be priests if priests could marry, so why not let priests be married? Again, if God was calling these men to be priests, then the Church would have married priests. God has called them to marriage first, then service as deacons. Their role in the Church as deacons is very significant.

Occassionally, an unmarried man will be ordained a permanent deacon (like my friend). Pretty rare, though. They would promise celibacy but would not have the intention of becoming a priest, at least at the time of their ordination. If they wanted to become a priest later, they would have to get approvals from Rome (as my friend did).

Lastly, there are three offices that make up Holy Orders: deacon, priest, bishop.

Hope this helped!

Anonymous said...

Greg,

Mmmm! interesting information about deacons. I have always wondered...what happens if a priest decides he wants to leave the Church to get married? Is this a grave sin?

We are all praying so you become a bishop and maybe Pope in which case I will have an excuse to finally visit Italy. :-)