Friday, September 16, 2005

Thank you, GW!!

I learned this summer that I won't be returning to St Stephen's/GW. Cardinal McCarrick has asked me to serve in a parish in Montgomery County (Maryland) for this school year. Hopefully, he will ordain me a transitional deacon in December, and then a priest in May '06. I will keep you updated.

Last year at St Stephen's was one of the greatest experiences of my life. To be around such great people in the parish and GW was such a blessing! I am extremely grateful to the former pastor (Msgr Hill), staff, young adults, and parishioners for making me feel so welcome and part of the family. I spent most of my vacation time there last year because of your hospitality, joy, and goodness. The young adults inspired me with their faith and generosity. I will miss them- studs, all of them!

To the students of GW, I say thank you in a HUGE way. You allowed me to be a part of a big year in your lives to share laughs, tears, and faith. You are all so talented and have such busy lives, yet you gave so much to Christ, me and the programs. You opened your minds and hearts to Christ and it paid such great dividends for all of us. I encourage you to continue living the generous spirit you have, and give yourselves more to Him and to others in prayer and service.

While the dinners and discussions were truly memorable and powerful experiences, my greatest memory was a Lenten Penance service. Amid the craziness of your schedules, the fact that it was late on a Sunday night, and with some being afraid because it had been years since going to Confession, we still had a great turnout! Something special is going on when people make the free choice to reconcile with God and the Church in Confession. It was AWESOME to see! Inspiring, really. Hopefully, it was awesome for those who went to experience the mercy of God in a deep way.

I will continue to blog on this site unless Fr Gurnee decides to have someone else take over. We still have many people reading this each week, which is great. I will try to visit GW at some point this year. I pray for all of you each time I pray the rosary. For those who have asked me to pray for them or their special intentions, you are on my list which I take to Night Prayer each night (always looking to add to the list!). Until I see you next, I will see you in prayer.

I love you all, and from the bottom of my heart am truly grateful for the love and support you have shown me. May God continue to bless you abundantly this year, and all the years of your life. Please pray for me, priests, and those in religious life. Thank you, GW!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I have observed at St. Stephens and on the GW blog site, I am confident that you will be ordained in the spring and that you will become an extraordinary priest.

You will be missed at St. Stephens--thank you for your many efforts toward bringing everyone in the Parish closer to Christ and for helping us to understand our relationships with Christ on a much more personal level. Additionally, somehow you managed to launch this great and informative blog site, while also trying to finish your final year in the seminary--thanks again!

I will keep you in my prayers, and I wish you the very best as you enter the next stage of your journey toward priesthood.

God Bless you!

Anonymous said...

How does a person learn to forgive?

Thanks!

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.